Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mom was Right: Hay Is for Horses . . .

There are certain life lessons that continue to ring true in my ear, especially in the workplace.  Sitting up straight, saying "please" and "thank you," arriving on time, you get the picture.  Another one of these gems that I try to remember is to avoid using the word "hey" in my introductions to people.  Though I unfortunately seem to break this rule when I am speaking almost every day, it is especially important to avoid using the word "hey" in an introduction to a work-related email.  It creates an informal tone to the rest of your email and tells the person to whom you have addressed the email that you think of him or her on a less-than professional level.  It is not always easy to do this when talking to someone in person, but when you are writing an email, you have the added benefit of being able to re-read your work before sending.

No comments:

Post a Comment