Monday, November 21, 2011

Interview Attire: These Boots are Not Made for Interviewing . . .

Q: Can I wear knee high boots to my legal interview this winter?  

A: Probably not, but it depends.  In the United States, the more conservative the industry in which you are interviewing, the more conservative your attire should be.  The legal community is one of the most conservative out there, so you should not use your interview as an opportunity to make a fashion statement.  In other countries, or in other industries, it might be more acceptable to wear knee high boots to an interview, but in the U.S., err on the side of closed toe shoes with a reasonable (read: not 5 inch) heel.  I once wore boots like this to my internship with a judge (the internship was for school credit).  The look that my judge gave me when I walked into her chambers was enough to tell me to shelve them during working hours, at least until I was actually employed by someone . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment